Eligibility to apply as a Federal Skilled Worker (Express Entry) – Canada

This program is for skilled workers with foreign work experience who want to immigrate to Canada permanently.

How this program works

This program has minimum requirements for:

  • skilled work experience.
  • language ability.
  • education.

You must meet all the minimum requirements to be eligible.

Selection factors

If you meet all the minimum requirements, we’ll then assess your application based on:

  • Age.
  • Education.
  • Work experience.
  • Whether you have a valid job offer.
  • English and/or French language skills.
  • Adaptability (how well you’re likely to settle in Canada).

These factors are part of a 100-point grid used to assess eligibility for the Federal Skilled Worker Program. You earn points for how well you do in each of the 6 factors.
The current pass mark is 67 points. see selection factor point grid.

Minimum requirements

Skilled work experience

Skilled work experience means that you’ve worked in 1 of these National Occupational Classification (NOC) job groups:

  • Managerial jobs (skill type 0)
  • Professional jobs (skill level A)
  • Technical jobs and skilled trades (skill level B)

You must show that while working in your primary occupation, you performed the duties set out in the lead statement of the occupational description in the NOC. This includes all the essential duties and most of the main duties listed.

Your skilled work experience must be:

  • in the same type of job (have the same NOC) as the job you want to use for your immigration application (called your primary occupation).
  • within the last 10 years.
  • paid work (have been paid wages or earned commission—volunteer work or unpaid internships don’t count).
  • at least 1 year of continuous work or 1,560 hours total (30 hours per week).

Part-time work experience

Your skilled work experience must be paid work including paid wages or earned commission. We don’t count volunteer work or unpaid internships.
For part-time work, you can work more or less than 15 hours/week as long as it adds up to 1,560 hours. You can work more than 1 part-time job to get the hours you need to apply. We don’t count any hours you work above 30 hours/week.

Student work experience

Work experience gained while you were studying may count towards your minimum requirements if the work:

Language ability

You must:

  • take approved language tests in English or French for:
  • get a minimum score of Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) 7 in all 4 abilities.
  • enter the test results in your Express Entry profile.


If you went to school in Canada, you must have a certificate, diploma or degree from a Canadian:

  • secondary institution (high school)
  • post-secondary institution

If you have foreign education, you must have:

  • a completed credential
  • an Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) for immigration purposes from a designated organization showing that your education is equal to a completed certificate, diploma or degree from a Canadian:
    Secondary institution (high school), or
    Post-secondary institution.

Proof of funds

You must show that you have enough money for you and your family to settle in Canada, unless you:

  • are currently able to legally work in Canada.
  • have a valid job offer from an employer in Canada.


Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.