If you want to come to Canada as a skilled immigrant, your first step is to submit your profile to the Express Entry pool. If you’re eligible, you will be:
- placed in a pool with others who are also eligible.
- given a score and ranked using several factors.
- invited to apply for a permanent residency in Canada (if you’re one of the top candidates).
You can only apply online if you’re sent an invitation to do so. Completing an online Express Entry profile or entering the pool doesn’t guarantee that you’ll be invited to apply for permanent residence.
Answer a few questions to see if you’re eligible for Express Entry. It’ll take you about 15 minutes.
If you’re married or have a common-law partner, one of you must be the main or principal applicant. This person will submit a profile and list the spouse or partner in it. Your principal applicant should be the one of you most likely to:
- meet the eligibility requirements.
- earn the most points in the selection factors (if applying under the Federal Skilled Workers Program).
- earn the most points in Express Entry’s Comprehensive Ranking System
Create your Express Entry profile
If you’re eligible, the tool will send you to your online account to fill out an Express Entry profile. Find out if you’re eligible.
- Follow the instructions to create an account (if you don’t already have one).
- Enter your personal reference code when it prompts you to (only if you have one).
- Enter your personal details.
Create or sign in to your account
To complete your profile, you’ll need:
- information from certain documents (for example, language test results).
- your National Occupational Classification (NOC) job title and code.
You may exit the profile at any time. Your information will be saved in your account. You have 60 days to complete and submit your Express Entry profile. Otherwise, you’ll have to start again.
Once you’ve filled out your profile, you can submit it online. We’ll figure out which immigration program you’re eligible for under Express Entry.