Manchester United star Marcus Rashford issues statement after suffering racist abuse

Spread the love

 

 

Marcus Rashford has said he ‘can’t accept’ the racist abuse he was subjected to following Manchester United’s Europa League final defeat.

United squandered the chance to win their first trophy in four years on Wednesday as they lost to Villarreal in an agonising penalty shoot-out in Gdansk

Following the match, Rashford revealed that he had been sent ‘at least 70 racial slurs’ with other United stars also suffering vile abuse.

The striker has now moved to post a statement revealing his disappointment on the loss, but how that is no excuse for racism.

“I love this club. I love my city. This club has been my home from the age of 7,” he wrote on Twitter.

 

“I’d be the first to say I’ve struggled this season. It’s not about commitment, dedication or ability. The reality is, I’ve had physical obstacles I’ve had to overcome and that I’m still managing. That being said, there are no excuses for last night, we simply weren’t good enough. I’m really sorry that we couldn’t bring the silverware home.

“But black or white, football is football. We all wear the same shirt. We all kick the same ball. I’ve been playing this game from the day I could walk. I’m built for criticism of my performance but I can’t accept the ape, monkey, baboon, banana, jungle talk.

As a United fn myself, it’s really difficult stuff to read. And I can only think about how this would have made me feel as a 7-year-old reading it. How would I ever have faith in humanity?

To all f those that have been encouraging, to the staff at the FA and United who have reached out, for these kind words and those I’ve read on here, thank you. Your support is never taken for granted.

“I’m 23. I still have a lot to learn and this disappointment will only add to my experience and growth.”

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


*